HICKORY BPW CELEBRATES 89 YEARS
On April 12, 1922, just three years after the North Carolina Federation of Business and Professional Women’s Clubs was organized, The HICKORY DAILY RECORD carried this news item:
A business and professional women’s club, its aim, and all phases of its functioning, were outlined in a talk last night by Mrs. Annie Moran Marsh, organizer, of Salisbury, at the Buttercup Tea Room before a representative body of local business and professional women.
There were thirty charter members in the Hickory club. In 1928, Stella Price was elected as the State Federation President. The State Convention was held in Hickory in 1929. The Club’s Scholarship Fund was established in1934 and was named in honor of Stella Price. In 1930, she became the editor of the TAR HEEL WOMAN and continued as editor until shortly before her death in 1954.
In the 1940's, the Club helped establish a Fresh Air Camp for young children and in 1944, the camp became an emergency hospital during the Polio Epidemic and was known as “The Miracle of Hickory.” The Club has remained active on the civic level throughout the decades.
Hickory has had three State Young Careerist Winners and one Individual Development Winner. Numerous members have served on the BPW/NC Federation Board and the Board of Trustees.
Through the years and on into the Twenty-First Century, Hickory BPW has continued to support causes and organizations that directly affect the women of our community. We are duly proud of our past and are looking forward with great optimism to the future as our organization continues to focus on issues and interests of the women of Catawba County. We are truly “Women Helping Women” by educating them professionally, politically, and personally.